Wednesday, May 17, 2006

As the Finch turns...
What a wild week…on leave at “home”...doctors tell papa that the cancer is no where else in his body…I got financed (by myself & on my own two) for my vehicle…spoke to a great friend who is serving in Iraq…had the opportunity to see, and hear The Logo (Jerry West) speak at my best friend’s commencement ceremony at The - West Virginia University…and have watched some of the best NBA playoff basketball in the history of the league…just quality stuff all around…

By the numbers:

- I’ve been on leave since last Tuesday – wholly crap that’s a long flight and a bunch of travelin’ – perspective: my plane left Seoul at 10a.m. and arrived in Atlanta at 10:45a.m. and I still had a connection to make…all in all it was roughly 24 hours of straight travelin’…not recommended folks…

- My grandfather was recently notified that he had cancer in his lung…booooo!...however – he’s the strongest, most positive person that I’ve EVER known and has already started a new form of Kemo and the docs have told him that the cancer doesn’t appear to have spread to any other parts of his body…regardless of what happens I’m sure he’ll still be out on the golf course five or six days a week – just an example for us all…

- I bought a car – a Jeep actually…I recently purchased a blue (duh!) Jeep Liberty Sport…more importantly though – I financed it myself, with no co-signer, and will be able to even further my growing credit rating…five years ago I couldn’t have given a damn about that – but with age, as they say, comes a bit of wisdom – so here I sit…with a slightly above average score moving in a very credit-licious direction…hooray for good credit! – and for Jeep for that matter!

- Talked to The Josh on the phone…just happened to answer my mom’s phone and suddenly there’s Josh…in Iraq…weird…good stuff though...prayers and thoughts are with you bro…just weird cause I haven’t been on this side of that phone call before…the tempered excitement and the urge to want to MAKE you be home safely is rather surreal…especially being that I’m IN the Army…makes me hate even more doing “that”(being there) to my mom…Godspeed Josh…no doubt!...

- Had the “pleasure” to go to Morgantown, West Virginia to attend my Best Friend/token little brother’s commencement/graduation ceremony from West Virginia University…there was obviously much Pomp and Circumstance – culminating with a speech by The Logo (he’s the silhouette, so you know, of the NBA’s logo) and West Virginia University graduate Jerry West…he spoke very poignantly and at times rather emotionally about life and it’s decisions and the importance of staying focused, having clear goals and maintaining an equal level of Physical, Emotional and Spiritual sturdiness…

- Meanwhile, I’ve had the opportunity to see some of the best playoff basketball in recent memory…the “MVP” and his squad holding off teams that are clearly better than them…Bron Bron holding it down against arguably one of the greatest assembled teams ever to exist in the League…scores of players playing through injury in order to take their teams to the next level…and most importantly – Dirk averaging close to 30 a game and 10 rebounds a night leading the Mavs to a 3-1 lead in the West…just highly enjoyable stuff folks…

And, in closing – I would just like to say – gambling issues and what not included – Charles Barkley is priceless! Hail hail Sir Charles…word!

1 comment:

salemonz said...

I still say head down to Marshal and see if you can get some play from our girl ;) Bong!

Dude, you coming over to Iraq again? Cause I'll be around -- just got extended for a year over here. Nice, eh?

Booya!