Friday, February 10, 2006

Words…



Well – it’s been nearly a week, and while I wish I had something compelling to say or talk about – I don't…so here goes yet another post about random topics that slip in to my head...enjoy...

The winter games’ are apparently taking hold with such wonderful participants as Bodie Miller, who would be the poster-boy for his sport – that is if his sport actually warranted a poster…and Michelle Kwan who couldn’t even legitimately qualify for her “sport’s” event…whatever…

Yippie…here’s hoping the Olympics are employing the same tactics as the Super Bowl in order to keep people talkin' – that is – hiring worthless officials who will undoubtedly make insane judgments to infuriate everyone but the victors…that’ll keep it interesting I guess…

As for me…it’s freggin’ cold…I posted a while back something about how cold it was and I went on and on about freezing and life suckage – and yada yada yada…well – it is now officially COLDER…damn…it suddenly snowed Tuesday morning and didn’t stop for quite a while…the fun part is, that after it snows here we all know that the next couple days will undoubtedly bring well-below-freezing temperatures, thus turning all snow in to treacherous ice…the fun part is that this ice is EVERYWHERE…

You will walk to nearly everywhere you go here in Korea…driving is a bit of a “luxury” especially as a Soldier…so you’re guaranteed to walk at least a mile through the course of any given day...this fact – coupled with the fact that I live FAR from my office and have to walk up steep steps and down a big hill (or vice-versa to get back) just to get to work – I busted my ass – yes, I made it nearly all the way to the office and while walking across what appeared to be clear pavement I found a lone patch of unseen black-ice and busted my ass…quality…

You all know that feeling…

It happens and you get up as quick as possible…quickly glance around to see if anyone saw you…and whether they did or they didn’t - you move out quick – nothing to see here folks…

Quality…

Korea in February ladies and gents…don’t bust your ass…

Meanwhile – after putting in some late hours (and three or four days) coming up with an innovative cover for the next magazine – I’m casually told yesterday that it’s probably gonna have to change…that – along with the fact that I’ve set a nice deadline, and schedule for the next edition to keep my writers focused – I’m told it’s probably gonna get pushed back…no decent reason – just, “we may need to do this.” I love it…

So – I stopped caring and left at three Thursday and Friday…piss off…

What else, what else….oh – I’m standing outside of my Lt. Colonel’s office this afternoon after compiling some (what I think) were high-speed questions for the Army Lt. General in charge of personnel (he decides who goes where and who does what)…my Captain walks in and smiles/laughs weirdly at me and points…to wit I say – “what I do?” – and he smartly responds “it’s not what you DID, it’s what you’re gonna DO.” And then proceeds to go in to the Colonel’s office, hand him something and shut the door…CLASSIFIED – I’m told…

Slowly I watch as the leadership in my office learns from each other what is going on – and I keep casually asking – “HA! Hey, what’s up sir – throw me a freggin’ bone!”...nothin’…CLASSIFIED...even my Staff Sergeant who is my direct supervisor (only one rank up) knows now, but “can’t tell me too much”…

Anyway – from what I gather, the department of the Army needs someone of my rank, in my career field, located where I’m at, to go somewhere, at some point in the relativley near future, to do something that is currently a classified…

It’s not like I’m going in to snipe Osama – I’m just a "journalist"…but I’ve done MY share of SHIT already - it's sombody else's turn…the three trips to Kuwait, one to Saudi, and my time in Iraq should count for somethin’ right? Damn…anyway…

Even went and had a beer with my Staff Sgt. and he REALLY can’t tell me…which REALLY freaks me out…there’s nothing I’ve NEVER been able to hear or at least get outta somebody…hell a year before we even left for Iraq I heard about where our unit was “scheduled” to be once things kicked off…and I never had to even go inside the tent…So THIS is kinda freakin’ me out a bit – I have the shitty feeling that I’m headed to Baghdad(or something equally not enjoyable), because I think that if it was anywhere or anything BUT Iraq, my Staff Sgt. would have told me…the thing is – he KNOWS that I’m scared as fuck to go back there…

Whatever it is, it’s apparently not for long from what I gather – but it’s certainly for somethin’ and he know’s what - and for how long - and where - and he apparently knows HE's not goin' – and he's apparently not going to tell my ass…

So – I just text messaged my NCO because I’m now driving myself insane…no response - he usually always responds...and I got nuthin’…stay tuned folks...should be interesting...

No comments: