Friday, October 14, 2005

'Stros v. Cards: GAME I

I meant to write this right after Game I so I could do a; Game I, Game II, Game III type thing, but couldn’t actually post on the army system and then was way too lazy to actually put forth any effort to write anything once I got off of work…shut up…
So here’s a “Game I” thing from me – the Finch –
I’m watching this in my office at work with my Korean Hommie – Sgt. Bae (who will be forever referred to simply as Bae) who is THE biggest baseball fan that I’ve ever actually met…seriously – the bastard knows stats from two years ago and tendencies that have accumulated throughout the season. It’s actually rather incredible when you think about it…here’s a dude all the way in Korea who loves baseball so much that he’s damn near more knowledgeable than any stateside fan…needless to say (which means I’m gonna say it) he makes it more fun…
To start the game he puts an action picture of Chris Carpenter as the wallpaper of his computer screen – fucker…he will go against ANY team I root for – fantasy teams included…the bastard…I think I might actually hate him sometimes...I know he's doing it on purpose...
Then he laughs at every strike Carpenter throws…and then Pettitte comes up and puts a PHAT pitch down the heart on a 1-2 count with two out…anybody explain that one –
HA HA - Yes as a matter of fact – they can – He SHOULDN'T have been pitching in the first place…
After the game, which was well played baseball and the Cards won on the field…I’ll give them that…after the game I (we) learned that during batting practice Andy took his swings, as is customary, and then ran the bases, also customary…during said trot however, he was inadvertently struck hard, by a line drive directly on the inside part of the right knee…ooooouuuucchhhh – you might say…
Ouch indeed – this happens to be the leg that Pettitte lands on, on every pitch…
Anyway THAT phat pitch landed in the left field stands and put the Cardinals up to stay…
As I’m watching the game – not knowing about the batting practice snafu which was only brought up AFTER the game – I’m rambling to Bae about “why would that pitch be THERE…blah blah blah…and that was really the main story of the game when it came down to it. THAT one pitch set the tone. Non baseball people might not get it and jabber on about 9 inning game and what not...that pitch was supposed to be a hooking inside cut fastball, which 8 times out of 10 will break a batter's bat leading to an easy out...THIS however, completly started the Astros off on the wrong foot and they never really picked up their step...if you watched the game you know what i'm sayin'
The issue for me is this: You start Oswalt instead of an injured Pettitte, you’re not down going into the 3rd down two runs… you’re attitude is different, you’re bullpen setup is different etc, and your hitters don't feel like they NEED to go yard to get the game back…
Still though…there were opportunities in the game…On both sides...
For the ‘Stros to come back, but also for the Cards to shut it down…good game - whatever – shut up – damn it…

No comments: