Friday, September 09, 2005

When "Fantasy" becomes Reality...

So it’s a little after 12 here in lovely Seoul, South Korea and I’m chillin’…a night in ‘cause that’s how I’m rolin’ right now – dolo…perusing over some websites…reading some of my buddies musings on their blogs, checkin’ in on ESPN just to see what I’m missing – to make sure I don’t miss it – enjoying a couple of icy brews while taking in some of the best DJ Shadow has to offer (check him out, guarantee you’ll like it).
I have come to the realization though, that I have a problem…shut up you…
I’ve started a fantasy football league with some buddies, family, friends, and even some of their family…thus my problem – I love competition, and this damn thing has consumed me…I’m honestly surprised that I have had the fortitude to pull myself away from stat sheets and match up schedules to put this down.
Seriously…I check it when I wake up to see if anyone has posted any new “smack talk”, I check it at work for the same and to see if any moves are taking place…then I’m on and off it at night just ‘cause – hell it took me the last four days to decide whether or not to have LaMont Jordan as my starter or go with Mike Anderson of the Broncos...the inner me was saying “come on his name is freggin’ LaMont – you’re good”…while the other half is saying “dude, the Broncos are playing the Dolphins and LaMont’s up against the vaunted Patriot powerhouse” (FUCK TOM BRADY) sorry that’s my turrets…
Alas, I went with LaMont – who hooked me up with 11 fantasy points topping me out at 35 off of 3 players before the weekend even started…sigh………
I guess my point to this rambling is that I really had no idea that fantasy football could possibly be such a big…what’s the word…FIX…
I’m competing against some folks whom I very honestly respect and for those of you that have ever competed for sport, you know in your hearts that beating people that you respect is better than a shut out against some peon you could give a crap about…so I guess this is my sport right now – for better or for worse…
So I’m going to ramble on for a minute…I’m looking at week five (this is when I fully realized the depths of my problem – it’s not even really week one yet) thinking about possible trades or free agents signings that may need to happen due to four of my top players being on a BYE that week. But I’m up against Amos and his Girl Scout Troop 69 team who – honestly – should be sucking ass at that point. But, alas, I’m setting up, if need be, for things that may or what may not need to happen – it’s all about preparation in this game they call FANTASY…
Then, though I’m looking forward to weeks 12, 13 and beyond, which is when the playoffs begin, and at team match ups and what not, to see if holding on to certain players may hurt in the near future, but help in the long run – or vice versa…this whole thing is insane…so I’ll stop for now…
This week me and the Korea Jong ILLs – I’m ILL Bitch! – are up against the Bombers of Dallas (my uncle) and we’re looking good…35 points already and I think I have a much superior line-up going in to the weekend – time will tell of course…Go ILLs…I should really get a jersey made…no?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the worst thing about it is Ian, Tim, and I all do the same damn thing when it comes to checking the league constantly