Sunday, November 13, 2005

We're ALL apparently racists...

I don’t wanna write this…I really don’t…and it will probably all come out as some incoherent gibberish – but hey, it won’t be the first time – and most likely – not the last…

It’s been brewing in my head all night and as I flipped onto ESPN.com – “Jesse Jackson calls T.O. suspension ‘much to severe’ – was the straw that broke the camel’s back…that is, if I were a camel and there was well, hay involved…

Look I actually like T.O…not so much what he says or does off the field…but credit where credit is due people…this dude is money on the football field…

The fact of the matter though, is that while the Eagles hired him for what he can do ON the field, they (as an organization/ team/ COMPANY) have decided that what he does OFF the field far out ways his God-given ability…that’s their right…it’s a business…this dude is getting paid millions of dollars to be a member of the Philadelphia Eagles football organization…and while he’s more than competent on Sunday’s – he’s a tumor the other six days of the week…

Granted, the Eagles could have dealt with this in any number of other ways…give him his own locker room…staple his mouth shut Monday through Saturday…murder Drew Rosenhuas (his agent)…but in all honesty none of these things SHOULD be necessary when you’re paying a guy MILLIONS to play a game that nine out of ten human males would play for free every Sunday…But, I am merely regurgitating things that have been talked about all week by countless REAL sportswriters ie:


As the Terrell Owens Era wound down in Philly over the past week, one thing stood out over everything else: Every single media member agreed that Owens deserved 100 percent of the blame. Some went further than others, but the message was always the same.
T.O. is a selfish jerk. T.O. is an idiot. T.O. needs help. T.O. is the worst teammate who ever lived. You can't win with a guy like T.O. He's not just a cancer, he's like a flesh-eating Ebola virus. We might need to institute the death penalty for sports and give him the electric chair live on ESPNEWS.


…one interesting angle though, was taken by ESPN’s Sports Guy, Bill Simmons here…

Now, all that being said, next up on the NFL Today show is an ‘in depth’ look in to where T.O. came from – a poverty sticken, southern boy named Terrell Owens…blah blah blah…this coupled with people screaming about how UNFAIR this suspension is and the outcry from Jesse “freggin” Jackson is – is, in a word– retarded…the man is under contract to perform the duties stipulated in said contract…and yet all year it’s been non-stop whining from the T.O. camp and constant distractions to the Eagles run at any sort of chance at a championship…

Let’s look at this in terms of real world scenarios…if I signed a contract to say, serve in the Army (crazy as that sounds) – I couldn’t very well go up to my senior supervisor (my coach if you will – we’ll call him Andy Reid) and tell him to Shut up and to speak to me only when he’s spoken to…that shit wouldn’t fly…and consequences would surely follow…

Now say, I’m getting paid at some office somewhere to do some sort of menial task – now for weeks I’ve been constantly antagonizing my coworkers and then one day I walk in and start fighting with some dude – I’d probably get fired right? No?

OK…say I do all these things and STILL haven’t been fired…say, my bosses tell me, if you do this or that and apologize and what not we’ll forgive and forget and let’s all move on…and then I basically say Fuck That!...well that would be that…right?

Now say I’m a black athlete, with tons of talent, but no respect for anything or anyone, who has a history of telling everyone around him to go to hell, getting paid millions to do nothing more than play a game…

It’s suddenly racist…and we've got shysters like Jesse Jackson screaming from the rooftops how unfair any type of punishment is…for God’s sakes people…how can you feel sorry for this guy…

I’d rather hear less about how “unfair” we’ve all been on T.O. and hear more about how a guy like Steve Smith can go from crawling off the field in agony with a completely shattered leg and ankle to the NUMBER 1 receiver in the league after the doctors all told him he would NEVER play again…playing simply for the LOVE of the game…and EARNING respect…

all that being said - word on the street is that the Dallas Cowboys may be the only real player in the T.O. sweepstakes...and i would almost, definetly, without hesitation, possibly think about getting a T.O. jersey the day they signed him...yet another shining example that I am an insane...

1 comment:

salemonz said...

I'm sorry the guy can't just get along with his team for the time he spends "at work" (which, as you said in your post, is something millions of people do for free everyday).

Hell, everybody has people they work with, and entire jobs, that they hate...yet they do them to work through the day and earn a wage. They bare it all for enough to buy food.

I guess I just don't get why it's so damned hard to just live with the fact that you're worshiped, could run for political office, and paid millions.