Sunday, November 06, 2005

What a waste...

Well it's Sunday already and after getting off at nine this morning my skinny ass was definitely feeling all 24 hours of no sleep...I actually think that I drifted into oblivion at some point because the phone rang and scared the hell outta me…oh well – nothing was going on anyway…

The weekend wasn’t a total wash though…word on the street (in the office) is that they (the bosses) are planning on making me (me) the new full-time head of the magazine…which would be wonderful because it would give me something productive to do rather than checking up on my fantasy team and fending off the forces of the command in their never-ending quest to break the spirit of my troops with crazy missions, invented requirements, and 5-mile runs at 5:30 in the morning…but I digress…

As much as I enjoy my job in the military as a writer/photographer-guy, I really enjoy doing layout and design…that’s been the case since I started this whole thing back at ‘ol Fort Bliss where I stayed there while everyone went on leave for Christmas and worked with our civilian printer to come up with a revamped new design for the post paper The Monitor…good times…

Anyway, this is a good opportunity which should give me some much needed experience with some of the newest desktop publishing software…long story short – I’m looking forward to the chance to breathe life in to what will now be a regular 50-plus page magazine…

With that in mind, I spent the majority of my 24 hours on duty toying around with some new ideas for the magazine on my laptop…and now my brain hurts…

In other news: Texas destroyed Baylor 62-0 and the icing on the cake was Miami finally showing up for an entire game this season and whooping up on an-overrated Virginia Tech team 27-7…young Vick threw for a couple interceptions and couldn’t stop dropping the ball all over the field…much like when Texas Tech arrived in Austin a couple weeks ago – it’s amazing what happens when you actually play against a top-tier TEAM…hell at this point I’ve got five bucks that says VaTech loses to UVA in a couple weeks…now everyone can shut up about who the top teams in the NCAA are, and baring any unforeseen collapses by either Texas or USC we will have a genuine championship game at the Rose Bowl in January…

No comments: