Friday, January 06, 2006

OK it’s a little more than 24 hours removed from the jubilation, the greatness, the triumph – THE game that will undoubtedly go down as one of – if not THE – greatest championship game EVER…certainly one of the greatest athletic performances by a single human in the history of organized sports…and I’m STILL catching my breath…

It’s moments like these (and the apparent unending corruption that is finally being uncovered in Congress) that makes me wish that the late great Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was still here with us on this earth…selah…

I just finished spending some of the best two bucks I’ve spent in quite a while on the 24 minute video compilation of the Rose Bowl brought to us by the good people at Apple and Itunes…I now HAVE the game…forever and ever…I can now take it anywhere and shit on a USC fan – or any non-Texas fan in the world…I can bring this video to Anywhere in Texas and it will bring INSTANT joy...it is simply a wonderful thing…

The elation that I felt when Vince somehow ran it in with 18 seconds left could only have been made better if I had EVERY SINGLE person that matters in my life here with me to experience it with…I don’t think I could have survived that though (spontaneous combustion and all) and I will continue to be happy with the fact that I was able to see it at all…it’s not often that something labeled “The Greatest EVER” not only involves “your” team, but also ends with “your” team coming out on TOP…I can’t stop smiling…

Here’s an email from a buddy to further demonstrate the magnitude of this:

One for the ages! When I awoke this morning I sat straight up in bed and told myself it was just a dream. I scrambled for the TV in search of the hung-over truth as to what actually happened. It was then that I realized that THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS was indeed the 2005-2006 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. What a feeling - I have waited all of my life for this moment…National Champs, that seems to make the hang over and the pounding in my head seem meaning less. The feeling that I felt last night and how I feel right now will probably be matched in the same mile stones of my life: first born, first kiss, first beer, and my First experience of watching the TEXAS LONGHORNS win the game I have waited for forever. It was everything I had ever hoped for and then some. One of the things in my life that I wanted to see was this! I have a few more things on the to-do list but this was a big one. Now if I can only find that cat that crapped in mouth I am going to kill it.

Now when I shared this email with another buddy of mine he scoffed, basically saying that “it’s not THAT serious” and the whole – “it’s just a game” and this and that…

I can agree with that mindset to a certain extent, but I am obviously biased…there are things in all of our lives that we will look back on and either smile with fondness or attempt to erase in contempt…the happy times, the “I can’t believe that just happened” times, the “I just felt a missing piece connected inside of me” times…(Boston Red Sox Times here people)…those can - in an instant - change an entire person’s being…a pure smile for ANY reason is a beautiful thing on ANYONE, and happiness breeds confidence and confidence breeds success (right? Somethin’ like that)…I’m not saying the homeless will now become millionaires or anything but for at least the next week/month (perhaps longer) or so Longhorns fans are indifferent to anything negative…WE are happy…we feel unstoppable and sure…and that IS a good thing…for Texas anyway…but I digress…
If nothing else, I’m sitting in my room here in Korea all by my lonesome at 12:30 or so in the afternoon watching the Longhorns that I’ve rooted for, for as long as I can remember, play against what EVERYONE was touting as THE BEST team EVER…I’m wearing my beautiful-burnt-orange-Vince-Young jersey and throw on my burnt-orange-Longhorns cap (the same one I wore when they won the Baseball Championship back in April or so), basically curled up in a little ball with my knees in my chest on a chair backed up against the wall staring at my tiny little TV...hoping…doing math and all the various point calculations in my head (if they score, and a two pointer, or if they get a field goal and kick an onsides kick, or…)…

Then with a little more than six minutes left the Trojans are up by 12 and the math is still screaming through my head…a quick pass to Thomas and then a few plays later Vince is somehow in the endzone – I’m at a loss…I’m shaking…I don’t know what to do…I don’t understand why they would be allowed to come THIS close only to fall short…I try not to get excited…USC ball…3:20 to play…and they easily move in to Texas’ part of the field – it’s over…but wait – it’s somehow 4th and one and a half, but WE haven’t stopped White ALL NIGHT – NOT ONCE – as soon as it said fourth down I said to myself “you’ve got to go for it to close the game”…and it’s true that play would have sealed it – you don’t NEED Reggie…White had pounded the crap outta Texas all night…so I curled up tighter into my little ball of me…hoping…

THEY STOPPED HIM – THEY FREGGIN’ STOPPED HIM…breathe, breathe – still gotta score…I can’t believe they stopped him…breathe…face mask – first down…another first down and outta bounds – BREATHE, BREATHE…1st down, nothing’, 2nd down, nothing, 3rd down, nothing, wholly crap this is IT…26 seconds, 4th and 5 from the 8…at this point I have now squeezed myself in to such a tight ball that I can no longer be seen by the human eye…

A few seconds later and I just remember him standing in a crowd looking confused and for the first time EVER, being humbled, and well – whatever other emotion describes what he possibly could have been feeling at that moment – watch the tape folks…he’s bewildered…it’s like as soon as he crossed the goal line this sudden moment of clarity came over him and all at once he realized what had just happened…it was beautiful…meanwhile I’m screaming and jumping around my room like a crazy person who just got there first hit of speed since turning clean…

3 minutes to play and they were D-U-N – done…3 minutes later THEY were National Champions…

I went jacketless today in sub 25 degree temps with my Longhorns’ sweatshirt on and the hat - oh the looks I got… I either got the “freggin' bandwagoner look” - Even got a comment from a Staff Sgt. about "bet you didn’t wear that before yesterday" and then even got a Hook'em Horns sign from a distance followed by a yelp…I got the sense that nearly “everyone” wanted to say SOMETHING…it was grrrrrreat…haters…ahhhhh...

They’re playing the “Eye’s of Texas” on Leno right now…and uh…Oh yeah, by the way, I’ve got this video to show you real quick…HA!

Hook’Em Horns!

8 comments:

brogonzo said...

As happy as I was to see USC lose, and as great as it was to see what was undoubtedly the greatest NCAA football game ever, I was still sad because of one thing -- Texas fans are intolerable; they never, ever shut up.

Finch said...

lick balls! GO HORNS! HA!

Anonymous said...

i'm with ian on this one, i've had to put up with that dumbass Vogt for the last 3 days and i know that if USC had won that i never would have heard about the game ever again. Rose Bowl what's that? Never heard of it.....

Anonymous said...

I will NEVER see a better game! The fact that it was the Horns (and I'm a little partial) is beyond the fact. This game can/will never rival a pro game! There was no trash talk. There were not prima donas. Players ever helped each other up after plays. Whenever one team made a great play, everyone just got up and tried to match it. Awsome. No egos. Loved it.
I just watched a Washingon Redskin SPIT in another player's face! What's that about??
Maybe I should just start watching college games!? Better players ...playing with heart!
Sorry, didn't mean to go off!
Momma F

Finch said...

ok ok ok...i'm getting comments from two dudes who watch NO college football or sports for that matter...two guys who no MAYBE two Texas fans and two guys who most likely DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THE GAME...at least Ian makes a couple god points...Ellis - shut up and get back in your hole...

brogonzo said...

For the record, I watched the entire game, start to finish... and came away with an even deeper respect for Vince Young, who really ought to have pulled the Heisman away from USC.

I also got to watch as Marcus "Shitball" Vick decided to take matters into his own hands -- or feet, as the case may be -- during the Gator Bowl by stomping on Elvis Dumervil's leg after a play. There's a place in hell for thugs like Vick, and I think it's commonly referred to as the Oakland Raiders.

brogonzo said...

With all this talk of "Hook 'em Horns," I feel compelled to point out that the gesture is indistinguishable from the "Devil Horns" hand sign popularized by Ronnie James Dio, formerly of Black Sabbath.

So whenever I see someone put up the "Horns" sign, I have to wonder, "Are they a Texas fan, or do they love devil music? I can't tell."

Finch said...

woah - 8 comments - new record! ha! ok ok ok...sorry to get you all riled up Ian...i didn't really mean to insinuate that you didn't watch THE game - i was leaning more toward the fact that you don't REGULARLY watch college games...and yes marcus vick is a shining example of how to take a shit on oneself...as for the 'Horns signage - there is a shining example of the PROPER Hook'em in the right column...those bastards out there (MATHEW MACONAHEY) who are just faking the funk simply infuriate me with their rock'n'roll signals - bastard...